-—FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—-
(NEW YORK, NY, March 22, 2015) – The Islamic Circle of North America invites you to join in the observation of Earth Hour 2015, this year focusing on the use of #YourPower to #ChangeClimateChange because every action counts.
Joining billions of people across the world, ICNA will participate in Earth Hour, which will take place on Saturday, March 28 at 8:30 p.m., and turn off all non-essential lighting across participating chapters.
This global solidarity will demonstrate a strong commitment to protect the environment and honor the earth. Greed is destroying the planet and robbing it of its natural resources, and global warming continues to be a threat. ICNA invites you to participate in Earth Hour 2015 and take a stand.
“The earth was created for us to use honorably, not to abuse recklessly,” said Naeem Baig, president of ICNA. “It is important for is to change climate change because it is the right of our future generations to live in a clean and healthy planet.”
God created the Earth is a sanctuary for human beings to dwell in comfort. The Qur’an contains over 700 verses that encourage reflection on nature. God continuously reminds individuals to respect and revere the environment.
He says, “The creation of the heavens and earth is greater than the creation of mankind, but most of the people do not know.” (40:57)
The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ also actively encouraged the maintenance of a clean and thriving environment.
He said, “Whosoever plants a tree, or grow crops, and a man, bird or an animal or a beast of prey eat its fruits, it is a charity for him”. He also said, “Removing a harmful and dangerous thing from the way is also charity.” [Bukhari]
ICNA encourages everyone to take action. The following are a few possible ways of joining the effort:
- Register your commitment through ICNA’s Facebook page: facebook.com/ICNA
- Turn off your lights on Saturday, March 28, at 8:30 p.m.
- Unplug unnecessary items, such as chargers, laptops, electronics, etc., for one hour
- Go beyond the hour and make a daily change in your life to better the environment. Whether you decide to plant a tree, recycle bottles or reuse plastic bags, commit to an action that will
- brighten the future of our planet.
- Promote this event through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
Local Chapters and Mosques
- Encourage participation in Earth Hour amongst the community
- Deliver a khutba and/or a talk at the mosque or community center
- Encourage everyone to incorporate climate consciousness as a daily aspect of their lives
- Plant trees, flowers, or vegetables in your in the community
- Promote this event on social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
More information for events can also be found here earthhour.org