-—FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—-
NEW YORK, NY (October 7, 2015) – The Islamic Circle of North America condemns the anti-Muslim rallies planned by hate groups and individuals in select cities across the nation planned on October 9-10.
These groups will be carrying arms in some of the locations to “defend humanity.” While ICNA recognizes the constitutional right to assemble and bear arms, it views this as a hate fest which contradicts our American values.
“The history of the world teaches us that ‘Hate’ never wins,” says the President of ICNA, Naeem Baig. “Satan hated the creation of Adam and lost. Prophet Abraham was thrown into the fire by none other than his own leaders, and God, Almighty, turned the burning flames into a garden. Prophet Moses and his followers were pushed into sea, yet, the people who drowned were the oppressors. Prophet Jesus was ridiculed and tortured, but we know who really succeeded. We see how Prophet Muhammad (SAAW) and his companions were physically and emotionally abused, but today 1.8 billion people remember the beloved Prophet each and every day.”
“In America there was a time when black Americans were kept as slaves and traded as commodities, Catholics were not allowed to build their churches, Chinese were specifically prohibited from immigrating, Quakers and Jews were tortured, and all kinds of ridicule were used against the Polish and Italian Americans. Japanese Americans were made to live in camps during the Second World War. These atrocities all took place in the United States of America, but as a Nation we recognized those mistakes, accepting the beauty of diversity, and as a result a sign like “Blacks, Catholics and Jews are not allowed” would never be tolerated in America. Yet, today, we are witnessing our very own Americans putting up signs and bearing arms against American Muslims. We hope that these individuals also learn from their mistakes, and overcome their hatred against American Muslims.
ICNA appeals to the American Muslim community to:
- Immediately assign one person from an Islamic Center to be in constant touch with the local Police Department and another for the media.
- Invite interfaith and political leaders to the Mosque.
- Respond with your fundamental right of free speech by handing out information on Islam from www.whyislam.org and www.gainpeace.com
- Assign volunteers to engage with the protestors without confrontation if the situation is safe.
- Toll-free Islamic information numbers 877-WhyIslam and 800-662-Islam can also be handed out. Our volunteers are standing by.
- If the situation allows and with the advice of law enforcement officers, inviting the individuals inside the Islamic Centers should be considered.
- Do not close down the Islamic Center under any circumstances unless advised by the Law Enforcement.
- Do record the event and allow media complete access.
- Place some visible banners by the Masjid, which resonates the peaceful teachings of Islam.
- Do offer dua and remember Allah swt’s Words:
(يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ اسْتَعِينُواْ بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلاَةِ إِنَّ اللّهَ مَعَ الصَّابِرِينَ (2:153
O you who believe, seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient
The Islamic Circle of North America is a leading American Muslim organization dedicated to the betterment of society through the application of Islamic values. Since 1968, ICNA has worked to build relations between communities by devoting itself to education, outreach, social services and relief efforts.
Islamic Circle of North America
Office: (718) 658-1199