—FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—
JAMAICA, New York (March 11, 2011) – The Islamic Circle of North America called on all people of conscience to demand action from the GOP against hateful remarks made by public officials at an anti-Muslim rally in Orange County, CA.
In a statement, ICNA said:
“On February 13th we witnessed congressional representatives and elected officials participate in a hate rally against the American Muslim community. The GOP has since remained silent on this matter, neither condemning the hate speech nor apologizing to the families who were terrorized by demonstrators at the event.
Join ICNA and our partners for a rally against hate at the Villa Park City Council on Tuesday, March 22 at 6 PM. We invite you to stand in solidarity with the American Muslim community and demand that the City of Villa Park censure Deborah Pauly for her incitement of violence against American Muslims and Congressmen Ed Royce and Gary Miller and Councilman John Anderson apologize for their comments on the Muslim community. The official No2Hate event pages are www.icna.org/no2hate and https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=203524082992838.
We also ask that you call and write the officials responsible for spewing hatred against the American Muslim community and respectfully demand an apology for their remarks. We urge you to demand that the GOP condemn those who spoke at this event and clarify its stance on American Muslims. Now is the time to speak out on behalf of your Muslim neighbors. We must stand up for justice and denounce those who seek to divide our nation along religious lines.
Some points to mention in your contact:
• As Americans we are appalled by your party’s participation in this hate rally and will not support those who seek to alienate an entire faith group.
• Our nation is about tolerance, respect and understanding. We will not stand for hate speech against our Muslim neighbors, and will not be divided by anti-Islamic political rhetoric.
• The elected officials must apologize to the American Muslim community and families that attended the ICNA Relief fundraising dinner on February 13th.
• In particular, we demand that Villa Park Council Member Deborah Pauly retract her deplorable statements calling for violence against American Muslims.
• The GOP must speak out publicly against hateful comments made by its members and condemn violence toward the American Muslim community.”
The contact information is as follows:
Congressman Ed Royce (R-Fullerton) 714.634.2340
https://royce.house.gov/Contact/ZipCheck.htm [Zip 90630]
Congressman Gary Miller (R-Diamond Bar) 714.257.1142
http://garymiller.house.gov/Contact/ [Zip 92691-1423]
Villa Park Council Member Deborah Pauly
Yorba Linda Council Member John Anderson
For official updates from ICNA please follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/icna and visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/icna.
The Islamic Circle of North America is a leading American Muslim organization dedicated to the betterment of society through the application of Islamic values. Since 1968, ICNA has worked to build relations between communities by devoting itself to education, outreach, social services and relief efforts.
Islamic Circle of North America
Office: (718) 658-1199